Organised in March annually, the Francophonie Festival in Hong Kong includes different activities regarding the French language and French-speaking cultures, which are open to everyone. In a large number of countries on earth, supported by the International Organisation of La Francophonie (Organisation internationale de la Francophonie), the international day of the Francophonie is celebrated on March 20th. In Hong Kong, the Consulate General of France, Alliance française and the Francophone Consulates General are pleased to invite you to the festival throughout March.
In March 2016, the Francophonie Festival offers you a wide range of cultural and educational activities, including workshops about literature, concerts, French film festivals, exhibitions, food tasting, drama, singing competition and poet competition.
You can find a few highlights of the Francophonie Festival as follows:
- University Francophone Film Festival (1st - 31st March)
- Documentary screening "La Caravane des 10 mots" (20th March at 5:30 pm)
- Mini Francophone Film Festival (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th March at 7:30pm)
- Screenings of two animation films: "Approved for adoption" and "Aya of Yop City" (9th& 23rd March at 7pm)
- Screening of the film "Timbuktu" + Q&A session with the director Abderrahmane Sissako at Asia Society (23rd March at 6pm)
- Young Readers Festival with French author Alma Brami (7th-18th March)
- French poetry writing contest "Sauvés par la poésie"
- Exhibition "Talking Animals" by Phil Hayes and M. Chat with live painting performance by M. Chat (20th March)
- Buffet dinner theater "Un air de famille - Family resemblances" (2nd, 4th, 9th, 12th and 13th March)
- French Theatre Festival (9th-12th March)
- Cine-Concert: "The triplets of Belleville" (9th March at 8pm)
- "Les Francophonistes" singing contest (12th March, 2pm-5pm)
- The Extraordinary live show of M (16th March at 8pm)
- "Mars en folie" concert (19th March at 7:30pm)
- Seminar "Micro & SME finqncing in Africa and in China: a French approach" by Arnaud Ventura (Founder & CEO of MicroCred) (17th March at 6pm)
- "Entrepreneurship & Francophonie: The Winning Duo" cocktail reception (31st March at 7pm)
- Dennis & Anne Beaver Foundation award ceremony cum French speech competition champion recital (5th March at 10:30am)
- "Les Césars de la francophonie 2016" video competition award ceremony (12th March, 2pm-5pm)
- DELF certificates award ceremony (14th March, 6pm)
- Inter-univeristy French speech competition (19th March, 2pm)
- Goût de France / Good France (21st March)
Francophonie means, first at all, the French-Speaking community in the world. According to the latest report about the French language in the world, published by l’Observatoire de la langue française in 2014, it is estimated that 274 million people around the world speak French. Using the French language enables not only to have more exchanges among the French-speaking communities, but also to build connections among professional, cultural, political groups.
To read the the report about the French language in the world 2014 (Fr), click here
To know more about the International Organisation of La Francophonie (Organisation internationale de la Francophonie), click here